The Thule Motion XT series of rooftop cargo boxes offer significant improvements over other cargo boxes currently on the market.
The design improvements start with the unique angular, yet aerodynamic shape, it is constructed with durable, lightweight thermoformed ABS plastic. This is an automotive grade plastic, a material commonly used for the manufacture of automobile exterior components such as rearview mirrors, with a similar gel-coat automotive grade gloss finish. Care for the finish as you would the vehicle using soft sponges, microfibers, and sudsy water, but no automatic carwashes.
The front of the box is smooth with no belt line found on other boxes, this reduces frontal area turbulence. The angular high and low areas of the lid are modern in design but also act to stiffen the lid with little to no added weight, this compared to other designs which use extra internal bracing for stiffness adding a material weight penalty.
The Motion XT series boxes are strong with a 165-pound carrying capacity, most other boxes are rated to 110 pounds. This is 55-pounds extra weight capacity, that's 33% greater than what most other boxes are rated to carry. The added strength can be attributed in large part to the steel reinforcements in the base which encompasses the mounting hardware, an area where high stresses occur.
The lid to base overlap at the front of the box is greater than any other box, eliminating the possibility of "fish mouthing", this is an aerodynamic occurrence when air forces separation between the lid and base. No other manufacturer has engineered such a targeted solution to this phenomenon as effectively and elegantly.
The SlideLock system, with separate locking and opening functions, automatically locks the lid in place and indicates when the box is closed securely. The lock mechanism is mechanically separate from the lid release, this removes the relatively fragile key from the work of activating the release linkage.
The crossbar mounting hardware has extra wide crossbar attachments to accommodate a wide range of crossbar shapes and sizes. The smooth turning, rubberized knob tightens the hardware and clicks when fully tight. This click function ensures that the hardware is not over, or under tightened to the crossbar.
The dual-sided opening lid allows for easy opening and closing from either the passenger or driver side of the vehicle. The grip-friendly outer handles allow for easy lifting and lowering of the lid in all conditions with the added support of the dual force lid-lifters.
The Motion XT boxes have been thoughtfully designed to provide the best possible clearance for the vehicle's rear hatch, spoiler, and antenna. The three primary sizes; L, XL, and XXL match up well to proportionate vehicle sizes, here are examples:
- L fits the Subaru Outback Wagon, the Toyota Rav 4, the Honda CRV, the Ford Edge, the Audi Q5 and Nissan Rogue.
- XL fits the Honda Pilot, the Toyota Highlander, Land Rover Discovery Sport, the Infiniti QX60 and Mercedes-Benz GLE.
- XXL fits the Lexus LX, the Toyota Sequoia, the Chevrolet Suburban, the Ford Expedition, the Infiniti QX80, the Nissan Armada,
- Alpine is a specialty box primarily for skis with proportions similar to the Motion XXL but with a very low 13.25-inch profile.
Use the manual link below for technical details, the comparison chart for dimensions and model comparisons and hatch clearance chart for fit information.
- Delivery is by freight truck delivery location must be freight truck accessible.
- Shipments to verified physical addresses in the contiguous USA only.
- Cargo box ships directly from Thule via best carrier determined based on delivery address.
- Ship dates and transit times are estimates, allow up to 14 business day delivery time.
- Tracking information is emailed on day of shipment and delivery should be monitored online.
- Recipient must be available on the delivery day to inspect, accept and sign for the delivery.
- Inspect, if the carton is damaged to an extent that the contents is damaged, refuse delivery.
- Delivery is curb service, carrier is not responsible for disposal of shipping box or packaging.
- Once accepted from the carrier, the sale is final, no returns, refunds, credits or exchanges.
- Rack Outfitters facilitates warranty claims according to manufacturer's warranty guidelines.